Our Historic And Original Furnishings
The ornate hand-tooled oak back-bar, along with the tables and chairs, have been part of The Monarch since it opened in 1894. The tavern has never changed names, and has been continuously open throughout it's history.
For almost 90 years, the room now called Preservation Hall housed a grocery and general store. First owned by Knaub and Wunderlicht, later it became Abts Grocery. The interior brick wall separated the bar from the grocery store until 1996, when the 2 halves were connected by removing 2 sections of brick. The kitchen facilities were added at that time.
"DRAGON'S EYE VIEW"
of The Monarch And Fountain City Located On The Bluffs Of The Mississippi
Enjoy your lunch or dinner outside on either of our decks with spectacular views of the Mississippi River
The beer garden, the decks, and the fountain are more recent additions. At the same time, the interior has been restored to it's original glory - including the pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors throughout.